European Travel Information and Authorization System
ETIAS news

How Can ETIAS Affect Foreign Residents in the European Union

Etias Visa Waiver
ETIAS Europe
etias affect

How will ETIAS affect foreign residents in the EU? Foreign residents living in European countries may be affected by the new visa waiver regulations for ETIAS (Electronic Travel Information and Authorization System). Citizens of 60 countries will be required to apply for an ETIAS travel permit for Europe. ETIAS will take effect in 2025. Continue reading to learn more about the new visa policies and how ETIAS will impact foreign citizens in European countries.

New ETIAS regulations

There will be new visa regulations when the ETIAS visa waiver goes into effect in 2025. ETIAS will not affect all citizens worldwide, but 60 countries will require an ETIAS to enter the Schengen Zone. New regulations will provide travel authorization to those who don’t usually require a visa to enter Europe. Before traveling to Europe, travelers will need to apply for an ETIAS.

Only those not required to have a visa to travel to any Schengen country will be eligible for the new ETIAS system. Many people need a Schengen visa to travel within the Schengen Zone. ETIAS is unnecessary for those who need access to travel to Europe.

According to the circumstances, it may not be necessary for foreign nationals living in the Schengen Zone to apply for an ETIAS. ETIAS visa waiver regulations are also available. Make sure you follow the requirements page on our website deliberately, as the regulations are constantly changing and evolving. It is essential to be up to date with all requirements to avoid making mistakes while filling out the application form. These are particularly important for people in the UK due to Brexit’s political turmoil. An ETIAS is not required to travel within Europe for those from other European countries.

Currently, 60 countries are allowed visa-free travel within the EU. However, the ETIAS system might change this and involve more countries than those mentioned above.

How will ETIAS work?

Travelers don’t have to be concerned. It will only take a few minutes to complete the online application for ETIAS. You’ll also need to pay the required fee with your credit card. The European Commission states that ETIAS will be an easy, quick, and user-friendly system that will result in a positive response in less than a minute in over 95% of cases.

The authorization is valid for unlimited entry within a 3-year period or until the expiry of the applicant’s passport, whichever comes first. This means that travelers who travel to Europe will not need to apply every single time. The current restriction on travel by U.S. citizens is 90 days per 180-days without a visa (ETIAS does not count as a visa). A visa is required for those who travel to the United States for work or study purposes.

European nations that will require ETIAS authorization to visit

This new travel authorization is valid for anyone entering any Schengen Zone member country. This includes 22 member countries of the EU and four non-EU nations, as well as three European micro-states. To enter Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain. You will need to register for the micro-states San Marino, Vatican City, Monaco, and others.

Although Romania, Bulgaria, and Croatia are not currently Schengen members, they are actively seeking to join and will have to meet the same criteria once they do.

There are many European countries that are not part of the Schengen Zone. These are primarily located in Eastern Europe. This means that you can travel to Albania and Andorra without an ETIAS.

Will ETIAS affect foreign residents in the EU?

ETIAS can affect residents of EU member states. It all depends on their nationality. ETIAS will not affect the residents of Europe. However, if they plan to travel to Europe, an ETIAS may be required.

Currently, residents of European countries will not need an ETIAS to continue living in that country. The ETIAS is not available to residents of Schengen countries as they are only for travel purposes. Keep in mind that if you are traveling for work-related or educational purposes (Your travel is long-term), ETIAS will not be able to accommodate you. There may be additional regulations for people who want to travel outside their home country to visit other Schengen countries.

A Schengen visa is required for foreign nationals who wish to travel to Europe. ETIAS is unnecessary for those who need access to travel to other Schengen countries.

However, EU residents who have not required a visa to travel to EU member states may now need to apply for an ETIAS to travel to the EU.

This information will be subject to the nationality and residence of the EU citizens and the regulations governing national visas that will apply once ETIAS becomes official.


If I’m traveling to Europe, when should I apply for ETIAS authorization?

ETIAS authorization is not required until 2025. It will be possible to get authorization online in minutes once it is implemented. It is better not to wait. Rare cases may require additional information. This could take several days or more to process.

Which countries does this apply to?

ETIAS authorization is required to travel to any country in the Schengen Borders Agreement. This includes countries that are European Free Trade Association members, European Microstates With Open Borders as well future Schengen members. These include Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, and Denmark. Finland, France. Germany. Greece. Hungary. Iceland. Italy. Latvia. Liechtenstein. Lithuania. Luxembourg. Malta. The Netherlands. Norway. Poland. Portugal. Slovakia. Slovenia. Spain.

Will you have to reapply for each trip to Europe?

No. Once you apply for the first time, ETIAS will be active for three years or until your passport expires, whichever will happen first. The ETIAS can be used for short-term business and leisure travels of up to 90 days, so you will be able to enter Europe multiple times within these three years. Although, you can’t stay for more than 90 days in a 180-day period in a single country. Students and workers who wish to study in Europe must apply for a valid work or study visa.

Who else will need ETIAS authorization?

There are over 60 countries that will require citizens to have an ETIAS in order to visit countries within the Schengen Zone. You can check the list of ETIAS-eligible nations here to find out if your country is on the list.